Wednesday 23 July 2014

I am 1 of 5000...

If your a fan of Formula 1 you will have known the Silverstone recently hosted their 50th British Grad Prix and I was lucky enough to attend as part of the events staff at the BRDC farm (British racing driver club), I work 12 hours a day on the Saturday and Sunday race days.
It was a high speed (mind the pun) intense and very early (5.30am starts!) but amazing couple of days which I will always remember. I was working on the bars within my area serving ex racing drivers, lesser known drivers, families and friends aswell as a couple of lesser relevant celebs. Popping corks, pulling pints, measuring sprints and mixing drinks was just part of my role of making all guest feel customers relaxed and making sure they were having the best time possible.
The first day I had a great view of the track and was able to watch the qualifiers as it was our quieter day, however on the Sunday i was in the areas other bar with a great view of.... the big screen. However being our busiest day I didn't get much chance to watch the race until the final four laps to watch Hamilton storm to victory and the whole building erupted with applause except from a couple of Red Bull Members.
I however didnt get to meet the Brits who were racing that day when they entered the BRDC along with Prince Harry as I had completed my full 24 hours of shift.



If you are ever thinking of trying as temp position at events such as silverstone make sure you are ready for early startrs, grumpy customers, busy periods and most importantly low pay! It is likely you will be overworke for minimum  wage but I didnt go for the money I went for the experience, being able to put Silverstone 2014 on my CV will give it a massive boost.

So keep an eye out for position for next years Grad Prix get a hold of Recruitment companies who may be involved and register your interest 5000 temp workers where employed this year, lets hope you guys are added to the stats next year...



Laura xo

No comments: